Saturday, February 21, 2009

Got Milk ?

Many people have had lots of reasons why milk is good for you and why we should drink it often or have it in our disposal at anytime. There are many types of milk like 2% or whole milk, they are actually very different and it can be used as an ingredient for many various foods. Also, it is a good source of calcium, vitamins and minerals that keep our bones and teeth strong and healthy. It has even been said that milk can be an excellent way to achieve weight loss and since the prices of milk never vary, you can’t rather go to a liquor store instead of a grocery store to get it, it’s the same price everywhere. However, if milk is so important to us humans, then why don’t many people drink it as much or at all?

            Some people, just think that milk isn’t essential, that there are many other different ways to get protein or vitamins in there body to be just as healthy. Even though they could do that, it’s not the same. Basically, they find other forms of milk and take that. For example, ice cream, cheese, or yogurt that is the same thing, but if it were the same thing why can’t people just drink milk. It is less expensive and a liquid which could be easily drunk. Most likely people just prefer different tastes because whole milk is pretty plain, that they are all just use to having more flavor in there drinks and foods. Just how people need to drink water but instead they prefer drinking flavored water or even Gatorade.            

            Still there are many who just cannot drink it because they think they are allergic to it by saying they are lactose and tolerant. What does that really mean? What do they improvise it with? Soymilk would not be so great, it’s not the same thing, and you would be missing out of a lot of different foods or desserts that have milk in them. Essentially, it is something that cant be replaced, everyone needs it to be healthy. 

3 comments:

  1. This is so true! It is really astounding if you think about it because your right, either people do not think that milk is essential to the body or when they are thirsty they choose something like soda or gatorade or water. Also how you talked about people replace milk with things like ice cream or cheese because they might think that it tastes better, well you can put chocolate in your milk and make it chocolate milk. I think chocolate milk is delicious. I do think that people drink milk though but not just milk by itself in a glass. I see people eating cereal and whatnot but it still isn't the same as drinking a cup of milk. I wonder how they get the necessary amount of calcium. I can't really come up with an absolute answer to why people don't drink milk that often, it really baffling if you think about. I wonder if this will ever change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE MILK!!! It's my favorite thing to drink. In high school I witnessed many donut and milk drinking competitions between my friends. Yeah I know weird. Anyways, I don't know what I'd do with out milk with breakfast. Especially with donuts or pancakes. I think it adds to taste and makes it so much better. I think that people who don't drink milk are totally weird. Plus, what would anyone do without those awesome Got Milk? adds....yeah, just kidding. ; )

    -Kristian Villalovos

    ReplyDelete
  3. I as well love milk! I have grown up drinking milk, with my mom screaming at to have a glass of milk with every meal. I always found it so strange when i would hangout with kids who just didn't drink milk, that just was not an option in my household. Now I always have a carton of milk in my fridge and drink at least 2 glasses a day. I also love cereal so milk is a necessity to have. Like you mentioned, it has tremendous health benefits for our bodies and is a great source of vitamins, which as a college student vitamins are not always the priority on my list. I love cheese and yogurt as well but milk is a vital aspect to one's diet.

    ReplyDelete